Indigenous Cultural Experiences Across Australia
National Sorry Day which is commemorated annually on the 26th May “… remembers and acknowledges the mistreatment of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who were forcibly removed from their families and communities, which we now know as ‘The Stolen Generations’ (Reconciliation Australia, 2020).
Within the GLAM sector (galleries, libraries, art and museum) you can immerse yourself in aboriginal culture by visiting a multitude of sites throughout regional and coastal Australia. “They say you can’t know a country until you know its story – and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples are an intrinsic part of Australia’s past, present and future” (Australia, 2023).
We’ve sourced five indigenous experiences across Australia that will not only immerse you in first nation’s culture but will educate you across indigenous food, art and history.
- Victoria: Aboriginal Heritage Walk Melbourne Botanical Gardens Aboriginal Heritage Walk | Royal Botanic Gardens Victoria (rbg.vic.gov.au)
- Queensland: Rockart Jarramali Rock Art Tours | Aboriginal Tours | Cape York Australia
- Tasmania: Wukalina Walk wukalina Walk | Bay of Fires — Home
- Northern Territory: Tali Wiru Tali Wiru | Ayers Rock Resort
- South Australia Home to the most comprehensive collection of Australian Aboriginal material in the world Home | SA Museum
Australia, T. (2023, February 23). Why include Aboriginal experiences in your trip – Tourism Australia. Www.australia.com. https://www.australia.com/en/things-to-do/aboriginal-australia/why-include-aboriginal-experiences-in-your-trip.html
Ayers Rock Resort. (2023). Tali Wiru. Www.ayersrockresort.com.au. https://www.ayersrockresort.com.au/experiences/tali-wiru
Jarramali. (2023). Jarramali Rock Art Tours | Aboriginal Tours | Cape York Australia. Jarramali Rock Art Tours. https://jarramalirockarttours.com.au/
Karrke. (2023). Karrke Aboriginal Cultural Experience & Tours. Karrke Aboriginal Cultural Experience & Tours. https://karrke.com.au/